Teaching Assistant (TA) in the Machine Learning Department
Each semester, the Machine Learning Department searches for qualified applicants for Teaching Assistant (TA) positions for all of our courses offered next semester. If you wish to apply please do so using the form below, which includes questions about prior experience, course preferences, eligibility, etc. To receive full consideration, please submit your application three weeks before the last day of classes.
MLD TA Application Form:
Some details about the matching / application process:
- Early Matches: We use a centralized application and matching process. However, professors are still actively recruiting for individual courses. If you are recruited by a professor to TA for a specific course, you will be told to indicate an "Early Match" with that course in your application form. The professor will confirm this match when they provide feedback on your application. When assigning TAs to courses, we will try to honor as many of these early matches as possible.
- Interviewing: You may be contacted by one or more professors for an interview. If so, don't delay! Interviews are a key step in the recruitment and application process. If you are not contacted, feel free to reach out to the instructor of the course that most interests you -- being proactive is a great way to make an early match.
- Editing your Application Form: After submitting your application, you will receive a confirmation email with an "Edit Your Response" link. Save the email for your records. The link will allow you to make changes to your application if necessary.
- ITA Testing: All non-native English speakers are required to take the ITA test the semester prior to TAing. There are fixed testing periods (usually in November and April). See the ITA registration schedule for details. PhD students may register for the exam at any time. However, we have to inform the testing center of our intent to hire any Masters students before they take the exam. If you are a Masters student and haven't taken the ITA test, please submit your application as early as possible so that we can arrange for you to take the test.
- Questions: Direct any questions / suggestions to the MLD TA Coordinator (Matt Gormley, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thanks ahead of time for your interest in TAing for the Machine Learning Department.